Thursday, September 16, 2004

The First and Last Mention...

I will not be bringing this up because it has been pounded to death, and even though it looks to be true, I doubt the need for another voice to be constantly saying it.

John Kerry's service in Vietnam, according to what has come out, is not honorable. People do not want to say this because it will anger people more than make them understand why this might be said.

Let's take a look at the history of this and focus on certain events and decisions and a pattern emerges:

Kerry joins the military as an officer after going to college at Yale. He was offificially in the military on 18 February 1966, with the status 'inactive'. How very brave of him indeed. When the Swift Boat units were made active and he was called to do his duty he managed three purple hearts in only four months. Bob Dole, as true war hero and someone who sacrificed for his nation mentioned, "But three Purple Hearts and never bled that I know of. I mean, they're all superficial wounds. Three Purple Hearts and you're out."

And that is exactly the problem. There is much doubt as to how those Purple Hearts were received. His literal begging for Purple Hearts and the very shady way two of them seem to have been granted is, until the record is cleared, dishonorable.

What is seems like is we have a guy who was hoping for easy service, gets burned, and then tries to get out as quickly as possible. This isn't to say he was a spineless runt, only that while in the course of his time there serving was not his main goal -- getting out was. Many people felt this way in Vietnam, but they are not running on their war record and service as a reason to become President. Coming home and attending anti-Vietnam rallies, condemning soldiers as being like Genghis Khan and the Mongol hordes running amok across the country side in front of Congress, throwing your (or someone's) ribbons and medals away and then having your own mounted all seems a bit too dishonorable for me, and it would seem, MOST Americans at this time.

It's strange, but I doubt this would have happened if he didn't make his service such a big deal. Everyone has opinions about Vietnam, the war, the policies, the people, and of course our involvement and everyone can speak with at least some validity since it is such a documented war and there is no shortage of evidence and commentary. It becomes an issue when someone serves, and by throwing away what was perceived to be his own service awards, degrading fellow troops, associating with those who had no love for this nation, suddenly claims that his heroic and patriotic service qualifies him for the White House.

We are all guilty of hypocrisy at times in our lives, but hypocrisy is permitted in some cases -- like a former drug user telling people not to use drugs. Even if the drug user is a current one, if it is not obvious, hypocrisy for the sake of good is acceptable and even desirable.

Hypocrisy for the sake of personal advancement is questionable. Wheent he loudest voices said Vietnam was bad, Kerry joined the shouting. Now that Vietnam Vets are finally gaining the honor and respect they deserve, Kerry wants to be 'one of the guys'.

He does not bother to say something like, "When I was young and knew so little about the world, I made some comments and also came to some conclusions that I now know are not only misleading but actually completely incorrect. Having now served my nation and my state of Massachusetts as a Senator I've learned much about the world, public opinion, and how strong the current of that public opinion is, and how quickly and effectively it can cloud, obstruct, and even warp what is true and factual. While I thought I was doing the right thing for my country I can now see the pain I caused. Those mistakes are long in the past and I ask of you to forgive me for that pain I helped create and even expand.

"President Bush understood the depth and ability of the American people to forgive and grant second chances since we all know his checkered past. When I say that I am not attempting to bring up old charges again, but what I am saying is you, America, know what is important and I now humbly request you forgive my youthful indiscretions as you have done for so many others.

"Let us focus on today - on the 'now' - and let me show you what my plans are for our common future and security."

If he said something like that EARLIER (for now I think it is too late) -- perhaps at the convention, we might have a new President. Not now though, it is time for the Democrats to prepare for senatorial and gubernatorial elections in 2006, and of course the Presidential election in 2008.