Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Respect and Judgments

Ever hear, either directly or indirectly, "You (he, she, whatever) have to earn my respect," by someone who obviously doesn't really have a clue that most of the time respect is a two way street.

What ever happened to the idea that you should respect everyone until they have proven to be unworthy? How in the world can someone 'earn' the respect of someone who initially doesn't respect them?

Is 'earning' this person's respect worth the investment? Usually it is not because 'earning' actually means bowing down to them and treating them like some sort of god or goddess. This can usually be heard from young people too stupid to know when to shut their mouth, and too full of themselves to even know they should. The statement itself is a way of saying I don't care about you so let's just skip the formalities.

These same people also have another habit of saying things like, "You need to accept me for who I am."

More people need to say something like, "No actually I don't. In order for me to accept you, you need to earn my respect." Ohh the look on their face I could imagine... "Hey, that's my line."

The reason this is being mentioned is because, after reading the article about convicted felons and them whining about voting, or being told to whine about voting something struck me.

These exact people ARE being told that society does not have to accept them at face value anymore and that is driving them crazy. Society needs no criminals, and society needs no criminals influencing the events of the day for normal citizens. If the whole civil process were so important then perhaps criminals should understand how important order and the rules are.

I can honestly say that I do not respect ex-cons, I do not care about their time spent the 'the pen'. I've seen too many honest people struggling away every day - myself at times included - to feel any real emotion for those people who felt the need to destroy the way normal Americans want to live.

At the same time I'd not be mean to them, but their deeds are unworthy of proper respect and they must earn the rest of it back.

In those states where felons lose the right to vote, this is exactly what happens. These states have decided that felons time served isn't enough to ensure a responsible citizen. Since habitual crime is an issue and a concern they have every right to be concerned. The idea that serving your time absolves you of your past actions is untrue since many felons can never buy a gun, and some felons have to report where they go to authorities at all times, too.

These rules / laws have both stood up to courts of appeal, thus are perfectly within the rights of the state to create and enforce.

The fact that the majority of these types (criminals) are Democrats speak poorly of the party since obviously they see the Democrats as nothing but marks. With so many causes to champion, championing the cause of criminals should be a low priority.

Congratulations Democrats on another cause unworthy of supporting.