Friday, January 14, 2005

Dean paid Bloggers for Positive Spin?

Say it isn’t so!

Actually, this is a story that, despite what some might make of it, is idiotic. Campaign Finance Reform has been nothing but a joke and lie. The only thing it successfully does is make it so that someone like myself can not run for office because in the end I can only accept a maximum of $2000 from any one person. Sounds good in theory, but in reality if I start with zero dollars – which is what I have currently – I would have to go door to door 161288 times and get the maximum amount to equal what only John Kerry had to spend.

CFR also tells me how and when I can spend that money. This is ridiculous since if there one form of free speech and media that should be inviolate it would be that regarding politics and national issues. But no, and it backed by the likes of Republican Senator John McCain and Democrat Senator Russell Feingold.

With such bipartisan backing it is no wonder it passed 59-41 in the Senate because it protects those in power and those who are well off. But the average person cannot run with such caps and limitations. No one has heard of me, but I’m told that there are limits and restrictions on how I can spend my money, how I can get more money, and what media I can use. How would I ever beat a career politician who can use his position of power and access to free media coverage to beat me before I even have the money to run?

I’m not upset with Howard Dean on this one at all. I’m all for a disclosure of HOW the money was given and how it was spent, but that’s it. The methods used should be up to the candidate and no matter what any court may say if limiting you access to the media (i.e. the press) is not being violated then we should just remove that from the First Amendment.